SCROLL DOWN FOR THE VIDEOS....
Despite being very new to film making and my ‘Gatwick twang’, I have decided to make a video each week on topics relating to emotional literacy and resilience. The videos are probably most suited to Key Stage 2 aged children although some parts of each video are probably accessible to younger children. The videos could be used in the classroom as part of a PSHE program or at home by parents and carers.
You'll need to stop and start the videos...
I cover a lot in each video and set tasks and/or prompt discussions along the way, so I would encourage viewers to stop the videos to allow time to complete tasks or discuss topics further. I might make a workbook to go alongside these videos at some point if this looks like it will be useful.
Watch either in order or one in isolation
Each video is stand alone and can be watched in isolation. However watching them in order will mean that key concepts are regularly consolidated.
I will add more...
I will add the link on this post to each video as I produce them.
WHAT CAN WE SAY ABOUT EMOTIONS….
- What can we say about emotions? Part 1 What are emotions?
Explores what emotions are and what might trigger different emotions.
- What can we say about emotions? Part 2 Enjoyable and unenjoyable emotions
Explores the idea of emotions being enjoyable and unenjoyable. Starts to look at the effect emotions have on us.
- What can we say about emotions? Part 3 Emotions have different strengths
Explores the idea of emotions having different ‘strengths’. Also looks at the varied vocabularly for happiness, sadness and anger and how strongly each word might indicate we are experiencing any particular emotion.
- What can we say about emotions? Part 4 How emotions affect us
Looks at the effect emotions can have on us - especially worry, sadness and anger.
- What can we say about emotions? Part 5 Getting good at recognising when you are feeling an unenjoyable emotion and what triggered it.
Emotional check-ins and prompts to help children think what might have triggered unenjoyable emotions.
- What can we cay about emotions? Part 6 Exploring the link between thoughts and emotions
Looking how different interpretations of the same event can lead to quite different emotions being triggered
- What can we say about emotions? Part 7 Emotional responses
Exploring our reactions when we are experiencing unenjoyable emotions - what helps, what doesn't?
- What can we say about emotion? Part 8 Surviving unenjoyable emotions
A look at coping strategies for emotions that can hang about for a while like worry or sadness.
- What can we say about emotions? Part 9 Why emotions don't always serve us well
Looking at why emotions evolved and why this means they sometimes don't suit us in the modern world - especially those which release adrenaline like anger or fear. This will help children understand why emotions sometimes cause us difficulties.
- What can we say about emotions? Part 10 The top ten tips for emotional literacy
Ten tips that it is essential to understand to improve out emotional literacy.
- What can we say about emotions? Part 11 Empathy
Exploring what empathy is, how it helps and how we can become better at it.
- What can we say about emotions? Part 12 Moods
Exploring moods - and how they are different from emotions
- What can we say about emotions? Part 13 The emotions of learning
Exploring the emotions of learning, focus, mistakes, and developing a really positive attitude towards learning
LOOKING AT INDIVIDUAL EMOTIONS
- What can we say about Anger ?
A video that explores many aspects of anger: the physical symptoms, what can trigger anger, techniques to avoid aggressive responses, how we can make anger a positive thing, how to empathise or sympathise with someone who is angry etc This video can be watched on its own but is supported well by the video: What can we say about emotions? Part 4. What can we say about emotions? Parts 6 and 7 also support the contents of this video.
- What can we say about Worry ?
Explores what worrying is, how it is linked to thinking and what we can do to help ourselves when we worry.
COMING SOON..... (after a wee busy-with-summer break)
- What can we say about emotions? Part 14 Fun with emotions
Creative ways to think about and explore emotions - in a sort of celebratory way!
- What can we say about emotions? Sadness
- What can we say about emotions? Happiness
- What can we say about emotions? Shame
- What can we say about emotions? Disappointment
- What can we say about emotions? Boredom
- What can we say about emotions? Embarrassment
- What can we say about emotions? Gratitiude
Future topics will include:
anxiety, kindness, resilience, optimism and more.